Since June 15th 2006, at the National museum of  Slovenia – Prešernova

slika4The National Museum of Slovenia today has a collection of more than 200 stone monuments with inscriptions.

They mostly come from the areas of Ljubljana (Roman Emona), Trojana (Atrans), from the villages of Zasavje, and from Lower Carniola as a whole. These were all areas that in the past represented the main regions of research for what was then the only scientific and cultural institution in Slovenia.

The creation of the lapidarium is closely related to the history of the museum, which was founded in 1821. Count Franz Hohenwart arranged the first epigraphic collection in the building of the Lyceum, where the museum was originally located, and he can rightfully be considered the founder of the museum lapidarium. Upon the construction of the new museum building during the period of the museum director Karl Dežman, the Roman stone monuments found their place in the ground floor and basement hallways, and because of lack of space, they were also built into the walls without any particular order along the ground floor hallways.